If you love the Indian dessert dish carrot halwa, but have been missing it to avoid dairy, then try this recipe. It is delicious!
- 6 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cans whole coconut milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp crushed cardamon
- 3 TB raw honey
- 3 TB coconut manna
- Garnish of slivered almonds and chopped pistachios
- Wash and grate the carrots.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the grated carrots.
- Cover and cook/steam for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cinnamon.
- Cook on very low for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Stir more frequently towards the end as coconut milk is absorbed, so that the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- After the hour is up, add the honey, mix well, and cook for about 2 minutes until the honey has dissolved and all the coconut milk has been absorbed.
- Add the coconut manna, mix well, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed cardamom and mix well.
- Remove from heat and arrange in a serving dish or individual bowls.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios.
- Serve hot, room temperature, or chill and serve cold.