It is a common myth that eating animal fats will make you fat and cause heart disease. It’s simply not true and it isn’t that simple to explain the causes behind diseases like atherosclerosis.
- Your body needs cholesterol to survive and be healthy.
- The cholesterol we eat has little to do with the cholesterol we measure in our bloodstream
- The cholesterol in our bloodstream has little to do with the cholesterol in our artery walls (i.e., atherosclerosis)
Learn more about cholesterol and fats (and bacon):
- Heart disease and cholesterol
- The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 1
- The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 2
- A layman’s guide to cholesterol
- How we get fat
- Isn’t all that fat gonna glom onto your arteries? And 6 other common questions.
- A quick guide to bacon